Monday, September 30, 2013

Nourish: Ooey, Gooey, Healthy (yes seriously) Scotcharoos

Before the Vanishing Act
I was lucky enough to be raised by a mom who is, among other amazing things, quite the baker. I loved coming home to check out the selection of desserts on the counter or in the breadbox. One of my favorite treats to come home to was scotcharoos – those amazingly delicious, peanut butter and corn syrup-filled Rice Krispies bars topped with chocolate. It was not abnormal for me to finish off half the pan in one sitting.

While I still can’t pass up the originals, I was thrilled to discover a healthier (and corn-syrup free) version while playing around with variations of a recipe I'd received that morning (thanks Kym!).

These not only taste just like the real thing and have a prep time of 5 minutes, but they might even help us ward off heart disease, cancer, stroke, and diabetes.

"Thanks, Mom, for letting me lick the mixing bowl!"
The only problem? They seem to rapidly vanish from the refrigerator each time I make them.

1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup peanut butter (or almond butter)
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup ground flaxseed
1 cup Rice Krispies


Melt together the honey and peanut butter. Stir in the vanilla, add the flax seed, and finally add the cereal. Roll into three-bite-sized balls or press into a small pan. Refrigerate, enjoy, and consider letting your dog pre-wash the mixing bowl before you put it in the dishwasher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment