Monday, January 27, 2014

Get Connected (for free)



A goal I hear often from my clients is to spend more time with the people who are important to them - friends, family, loved ones.

Because it isn't always easy (or possible) to meet in person, it's helpful to have a list of go-to programs to make connecting remotely a bit easier.

I do a lot of my coaching over the phone or video chat, and I've been delighted to find a few fantastic and free tools that make connecting from afar easy and fun.

Here's a list of my favorites.

For a Good Old Fashioned Conference Call
(And no, I don't mean this kind of conference call...) My favorite is freeconferencecall.com.  Here's why:

  • It's actually free (amazingly, plenty of services with "free" in the title are not free at all).
  • It's incredibly easy to use. You receive a unique call-in number and an access code, which you can use with anywhere from 1 to 1000 callers.
  • Calls don't need to be scheduled. Because the call-in information is unique, you can use it anytime and don't need to reserve the line.
  • It's incredibly easy to record and save recorded calls for reference. 
  • Because the line is unique to you, you don't have to deal with that awkward situation of other people calling into your conference call right in the middle, thinking that they reserved that conference line. 
For a 1:1 Video Call between Two iPhone/Mac Users
I recommend FaceTime - and if possible, launching it on your laptop. Here's why.
  • The picture and sound are clear, and I find that it cuts out less frequently than some of the other options out there. 
  • It's easy to launch and use.
Vicky from Grid Organizing and I use this regularly for our brainstorming meetings. The only issue we've found so far is trying to call each other on the correct device (phone versus laptop). For this reason, I recommend testing it out prior to use and also double checking the contact information you have listed in your FaceTime settings.

For an Interactive Group Video Call
Google Hangout and Google Hangouts On Air are both incredible for groups of various sizes.
  • Hangout allows interactive video calls with up to 10 people, and Google On Air supports recorded calls for large groups that are then available on YouTube. I recommend Hangout for an interactive call with lots of dialogue, and Hangout on Air for something that's more of a presentation. 
  • Both allow document sharing as well as recording. 
  • It's easy to schedule a Google Hangout through your Google Calendar invitation (just click "add video call" as you're scheduling), and it's also easy to start a Hangout that's not scheduled (just open Hangout, click "new hangout," and call using a Gmail address).
Because there are some microphone and hardware requirements, I recommend having all participants try out Hangout on their own prior to your call, to ensure they can see and hear.

For an International Call (with video option)
I am often on calls with people from around the world through my coaching program. My friends who live abroad consistently find Skype to be the least expensive option when they're calling the US. It's possible to use Skype  with or without video, and also for group calls.

I'd love to hear from you - what's your favorite way to get connected with friends and family when you can't be with them in person?

Thanks for reading!
Sarah





No comments:

Post a Comment